The Way

Here I am Lord,
Listening
Speak to me
within my heart and soul.
I am listening.


John 14:28
You've heard me tell you, 'I'm going away, and I'm coming back.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I'm on my way to the Father because the Father is the goal and purpose of my life.


Reflection

If you loved me… How often have we heard that one? Normally just before an unacceptable or unbelievable request that seeks to undermine our place in a relationship.

If you loved me… How could anyone not know that we do love them? What more can we do than we do?

If you loved me… Surely if we loved anyone we would want what was best? We would want that person to be happy, safe, protected, ours.

But there is a love that is stronger than ours. That sees through our need for possession; our need to measure a person’s happiness in comparison to our own; a love that is both freedom and commitment in equal measure.

The love of the disciples asked for reassurance; guidance; availability. It was a childlike, needy love; and there is nothing wrong in that.
But it was focussed on Jesus, and Jesus knew that he was not the focus because he too loved as a child. He loved and looked to the Father; as much as he loved his humanity; as much as he anticipated his suffering and death he desired that Love that is above all others and he left.

At this time of year we try to make our own journey towards the Father, using the pathway Jesus marked out for us.

The Way of Jesus- to love everyone, friends and enemies; those we care about and those we avoid.

The Truth of Jesus – that everything in life – rules and regulations, expectations and limitations are nothing without love.

The Love of Jesus – to love simply, extravagantly, blindly and generously.
If he loved us he would be with us and, because he loves us – he is.


Contemplation
The Way

The forty days of Lent ask us to do several things – to share with Jesus’ time of solitude; to share in the anticipation of his suffering; to make a journey of our own.

What we need to do is to try to forget that we know it all – we have the benefit of hindsight – we’ve read the Book!

But let’s try - try to share the fear and insecurity of the followers.

Let’s try to be the disciples Jesus wants us to be.

In quiet and contemplation let us commit this season to the journey.



Closing Prayer
May the blessing of the Sacred Three
The Father who gave us the Word
The Son who is the Word
The Spirit who opens the Word within us
Be with us today and evermore.

Amen

wordinthehand2009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listen

The servant’s name was Malchus.

The Fourth Shepherd